Everyone is going to experience crisis in their lives. It is inevitable. No matter how good or bad things are, change is the only constant you can be sure of. When major life changes come, you will be faced with reinventing your life and yourself. Make it an opportunity to create a better you.
By personal life crisis I mean a major life changing event that threatens your very identity. This can be losing a job, losing a loved one, a failed marriage, losing your health, bankruptcy, losing your house, or even giving up a cherished belief; anything that you have built your life around.
This blog is specifically designed to provide free simple life coaching to get you through the trauma and drama of these events. The feelings that you experience during this time may seem overwhelming, you may feel hopeless and depressed. Take heart, there is a new future awaiting you.
Here are the first steps to take when faced with a major life change:
- Feel your feelings. This is important because if you deny them, they only surface in other ways. They can make you ill. They can sabotage your dreams as you move forward with your life. Give yourself permission to mourn your loss. Let out your raw emotion. Talk it out. Yell it out. Cry it out.
- Make the conscious choice to feel better. It is your choice how you respond to life’s adversity. Everyone has their cross-to-bear. You have heard it many times—it’s all about how you choose to experience your life circumstances that determine your reality
- Accept and be open to help. Many people, support groups and agencies would love the opportunity to help you. You may feel some shame about your situation but know that many people have been in your shoes and want to lend a helping hand—including myself. Let them feel rewarded, it will be your gift to them.
- Know that things will get better. When you are cut low, the only way is up. Have faith and turn your life over to a higher power. Pray. Many times something better is just beyond the horizon. Believe it is there, head toward it and the next opportunity, relationship, or life purpose will be there to meet you.
- Take at least one positive step every day. You already know many things that you could or think you should do, and still some days it is hard some to put one foot in front of the other. I understand for I have been there more times than I care to count. Unfortunately, knowing what steps to take isn’t doing it. Action is the only cure. Take small steps if you need to.
Note: There are many small steps, tips, ideas, and how-to-do-it lists in this blog.
Subscribe to the blog, apply the suggestions, and then let me know how you are doing.
Workshops are available.
Important Notice: Please see a medical professional and a trained mental health professional as your first resources for help in recreating your new life.